This year felt like it flew by! 2012 has been my first full year of living with Type 1 diabetes, this month’s DSMA Blog Carnival prompt spurs a long summary of a short-feeling year.
Take a moment to reflect on diabetes in 2012 – on a personal level, on a community level, on a technological level, anything you can think of. What things stand out to you the most? What did 2012 and Diabetes mean to you?
- I made a lot of friends this year online
- I had the pleasure of sharing thoughts with members of the community and a company that makes my life better every day
- When I had questions, people answered
- I was able to advocate and educate those around me more this year
- I’ve been able to celebrate successes with friends online and offline when it comes to their health
- I started using a Dexcom to monitor my blood sugar
- My CGM proved helpful as a wake-up call on multiple occasions
- I’m almost to my 1st anniversary of pumping insulin
- Improved technology is already available and not very far down the road for me
- Started using a new insulin
- I reached my a1C goal
- I had a blood vessel leak found in my eye
- I identified a pattern and recommended a course of action to my doctor (she agreed)
Overall, I feel like I’m “getting the hang of” this whole living with diabetes thing. I’ve learned humility though and what happens when you start to think “I’ve really got this!” Carbohydrate counting is easier, I freak out less about things too.
I feel more comfortable filling in for this absent pancreas, but it doesn’t feel okay just yet. I’ve been moved to tears this year by bad sites, involuntary vein punctures, stubborn highs, scary lows and commercials depicting families sharing milkshakes.
This post is my December entry in the DSMA Blog Carnival. If you’d like to participate too, you can get all of the information at http://diabetessocmed.com/2012/december-dsma-blog-carnival-2/
Like the blue circle necklace? Get your own and support the JDRF at the same time.
Wow, that is an incrediby full year! I really like the photos you shared too. All the best in 2013.
Pingback: Wrapping up 2012 « probablyrachel
It sounds like you totally have the hang of it. Honestly, I’ve been at this for 33 years and I still get moved to tears sometimes and I still mess up (a lot). But we just keep getting back up and trying again. You absolutely do got this!!
Pingback: Desires for 2013 « probablyrachel