I know each person has a different definition of adulthood. But if you’re out on your own, there are some things that you really should know.
1. Income tax returns are not a gift from the government. They are a refund of money that you already made and overpaid to the government in taxes.
2. It is not okay to flush feminine hygiene products down toilets, they need to be disposed of in a waste can as to not clog or damage pipes.
3. You need to RSVP. If you do not RSVP to an event, you’re being rude. Hosts need to know if you’re coming or not. And the crazy thing is, it’s incredibly simple to RSVP. (PS: Make sure you RSVP to the right person!)
4. Nothing worth having comes easily, you have to work for the things that are the most valuable.
5. Parents aren’t perfect. They didn’t do everything right when raising you, but chances are they did their best.
6. Turn signals and seat belts are standard on cars for a reason… you should use them.
7. Coupons are cool, they help you save money to do what you want with later.
8. Know how to cook at least one or two meals that you can eat off of real dishes that you also know how to wash by hand. Bonus points if dishwashers don’t scare you.
9. Just because you don’t agree with another person’s opinion, does not mean that the other person is wrong. Everyone is allowed to have their own opinions about things, it doesn’t mean that you have to agree and it doesn’t mean that you can’t be friends.
10. Have a basic understanding of how insurance and credit work.