I picked this dress up at Goodwill for $3 to wear to my friend’s bridal shower tea party that I’m hostessing with her other bridal attendants this summer.
I obviously knew I couldn’t wear wear it as is and not be shunned. I was wearing jeans under it when the picture was taken!
- The first thing I did was remove the worn buttons. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to replace them with different buttons or turn the old ones into fabric-covered buttons, but when they didn’t leave behind any holes of weird fabric bunches, I decided I didn’t really need buttons.
- While I had the dress on, I pinned where the neckline needed to fall to put the beautiful waist in the right location, then I safety-pinned the dress to a party dress from my closet with a shallow sweetheart neckline. Measured, pinned and cut it.
- I folded the top over and stitched it down. I measured the skirt length on my existing dress and discovered that I wanted to cut 7 inches off of the length so I chopped and hemmed the skirt.
- The dress has a zipper in the back that I had left intact when making the top, so I had 8 inches of extra zipper folded over and pinned inside the dress for the time being. Making sure the zipper was unzipped, I cut the extra zipper off and stitched a tiny bit of fabric from my dress scraps onto the top to keep the zipper from running off the teeth and I reinforces the stitching from dress to zipper (I should have taken pictures of this to explain). The dress will get a hook sewn in above the zipper.
- I tried the dress on at this point to see how much side seam needed to come in. I took each side in about 2 inches and sewed two darts into the smocking on the dresses back to tighten up the waist.
- Finally, using bottom scrap, I made inch-wide straps and attached them to my dress. I toyed with the idea of putting cross-straps on it, but decided not to.
Here’s what I ended up with:
I couldn’t wait to share this project! Next time I wear this it’ll be properly styled for a tea party with a vintage hat and probably some pearls.
Brad took all of the pictures of me in the dress, isn’t he a good photographer? I’m pretty sure he thought I was insane when I brought the dress home.