Brad and I recently became Clevelanders!
We moved from a small house into a large apartment over Labor Day weekend. My family was certified nomadic when I was growing up and we always moved by way of “Friends and Family Moving Co.” as my mom called it. When you move without the pros helping you out, there are some things that
usually always happen.
– Something will go wrong. For us it was the U-Haul truck.The one we had reserved was supposed to be turned in at 9:30 a.m. and available for pick up at 10:00 a.m. It wasn’t. In fact, as far as we know the truck that we had reserved was never turned in. By 11:00 they sent Brad back to us with a larger truck (and extended free miles!).
– Something will get broken. That something was Brad’s phone. It took a dive from hip-height onto concrete.
– People will surprise you. We asked close friends and family to help with our move. One set of friends came back the next two days as well to help us unpack and set things up. Another friend stayed until late that night to make sure we had everything we needed for the night.
– It won’t all be work. We enjoyed a few laughs while loading the truck and it was interesting to watch our families and friends interact with each other over lunch and dinner.
– It will affect you physically. Between sore muscles and cardboard cuts, no one really comes out unscathed. We also learned that moving greatly affects blood sugar too!
Our stuff is in the apartment and so are we. There’s still a lot of unpacking to do, but it’s nice to be home.