I love tomatoes… which is weird because I don’t like tomato sauces.
A couple of weeks ago, Brad and I were grilling balsamic pork chops for dinner and I had some Campari tomatoes that needed to be eaten. Inspired by the tomato that accompanies a plate of eggs on the cruise ship, I started slicing the tomatoes in half and developed this recipe:
Easy Roasted Tomatoes
– small tomatoes such as Campari or plum, but larger probably work too
– dressing – I used Italian dressing
What you do:
1. Heat your oven to 350, or use the convection roast setting like I do. (350 is a purely arbitrary temp because I was also roasting asparagus. Here’s the recipe.)
2. Wash your tomatoes and slice them in half. I recommend width-wise so you have a tomato top and tomato bottom.
3. Arrange in a baking dish. I recommend glass or ceramic. Bonus points for making a pattern.
4. Drizzle with dressing.
5. Roast in oven 10-12 minutes.
Variations to try:
- Drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Top with mozzarella cheese immediately after removing from oven. Enjoy with spinach for a roasted Caprese salad.
- Mist with olive oil and sprinkle with basil or rosemary
I’ve got to figure out some creative things to do with larger tomatoes. My neighbor’s tomato plant produced an abundance of produce and she left them in a paper bag on our door mat… way better than other things that get left in paper bags on door mats…
Do you like tomatoes? What’s you favorite way to enjoy them?